April 7th, 2014 my vehicle was struck at highway speeds causing multiple injuries. I was 3 blocks from home, in an intersection I drove thru multiples times a day, in a neighborhood I have lived in for 30 years and I had a green light.
A year later, I have 95% range of motion in my arm, a little less in my thumb & a "new normal" when it comes to my brain. (see my blog about my brain injury here ) That blog talks about all the things that I'm still dealing with but I wanted to take a minute and speak my gratitude. Let's do this!
- I'm alive! It could have been so much worse, I am so lucky!
- Thank God that my 3 year old son was not with me.
- My husband didn't kill me, there were days that I wouldn't blame him if he had (Thank you, Tony)
- I still have a sense of humor. My jokes might not make sense now but that's what makes them funny :) #mushybrain
- My closest friends bathed me, nothing says 'close' like that! (Jamie, Tony & Alison!)
- I had a redheaded chauffer for almost 3 months- privileged! (thank you, mom!, and all my other taxi-driver-wannabes)
- I can touch my nose again!
- I have kept my job throughout restricted hours & multiple limitations (thank you, Lorri!)
- I spent months propped up with pillows, giggling with my 3 year old- he kept me from losing it multiple times (Thank you, EJ!)
- So many people cooked for us & brought me caribou! (Thank you Lori, Teresa, Emily, Kelsey, & more!)
- My photography clients stuck in there & had so much patience with me! (Thank you, clients!)
- My photography business didn't close thanks to 1 person- Jessi. I couldn't have done it (and still can't do it) without you!
- The first time I felt like 'myself' again was at the lake last summer (Thank you CBay'ers!)
- I haven't laughed this hard in my whole life. Who would have thought?! If you've heard my laugh this year, it's thanks to you!
- Some friends & family have had to redefine "Carissa" in their heads and I'm so thankful they were willing to do that and not make me feel like I lost my support system.
- Music. Thank you. Sometimes a song can reset me. It can teach me things. It can relax me. It can energize me. #newnormal
- Pillows and blankets, thank you.
- I think 8 or 9 people have given me teas, recipes, etc. to try and combat these headaches, Thank you!
- My team of Doctors & Therapists, I can't say it enough. (Thank you Chad, Abe, Kathy & countless sweet nurses!)
- Netflix, thank you for binge sessions until 5am. #insomnia
- Angela, you answered prayers multiples times and probably will continue to for some time. You inspire me.
- Post-it notes, I love you but I hope we can break up sometime!
I'm sure there's so many more that I've forgotten, I'm sorry! #mushybrain
And now what? Well, I'm going crazy on my bucket list. I'll be working on my new (hopefully improved) golf swing this summer & learning to strum a guitar is good physical therapy. This "old dog" will learn new tricks- you just watch! I'm taking more time for myself & learning what it's like to be the "new Carissa."
In the mean time, do me a favor...
Take the time to do things that are important to you.
Enjoy this life.
Yes, #2014TriedToKillMe but #2015WillBeAmazing... thanks to all of YOU! <3
NOTE: SOME IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC!